Education is the foundation of cultural, social and economic development throughout the world. A strong educational system not only prepares people for future employment, but also gives them the opportunity to participate in the evolution of their society. In China, India and Nepal, a high level of education is the only opportunity for young Tibetans to build a future and actively contribute to the society in which they live.
Challenges for young Tibetans
Continuing studies after completing compulsory education is very difficult: the best high schools, universities and training courses are located in large cities where, in addition to tuition fees and the cost of teaching materials, there are also high costs for board and lodging. Many Tibetan families, often nomadic shepherds, farmers or humble people and underpaid jobs, cannot afford these costs and, although students do seasonal jobs for their livelihood, the small income generated by these jobs is never sufficient.
Moreover, public scholarships are difficult to obtain and those students who are able to access the most prestigious universities, but cannot afford their costs, give up their places and sometimes interrupt their studies, with serious consequences for themselves, for their families and for the whole community.
The objective of the Fund
The Enrico Dell’Angelo Fund, created to honor the memory and legacy of Enrico Dell’Angelo, was created with the main objective of supporting the studies of young Tibetans in order to improve the overall quality of life in the Tibetan areas as well as spreading Tibetan culture and traditions all over the world.
The funds collected will cover the costs of accommodation, tuition fees and study materials for young Tibetan students.
How it works
The donor (individual, institution, company or association) can make a one-time minimum donation of € 250.
The total amount of each scholarship awarded by the Fund will depend on the total cost that each beneficiary will have to sustain until the end of his or her course of studies. The scholarship will correspond to 75% of the total cost, with the remaining 25% being covered by the student himself as proof of his commitment.
How to contribute to the Fund
By credit card / paypal DONATE HERE
By bank transfer
Swift BIC: BPCVIT2S
Remember to mention “Enrico Dell’Angelo Fund” as reason for payment
With the Enrico Dell’Angelo Fund we managed to achieve a first goal; Yeshi will be able to attend the preparatory course to enroll in the Ranjung Yeshe Institute of Kathmandu. Read the Story of Yeshi>>
The Story of Tsomo
She is a 22 year-old Tibetan girl who wants to attend a master’s degree in traditional Tibetan medicine and public health at Qinghai University with the aim of helping young women to prevent diseases that are still not being discussed enough. Tsomo has not been very lucky: a serious car accident hit her family when she was only 17, her mother died and she and her father were hospitalized for several months. She is a girl who never loses heart; she graduated with excellent grades and is also very generous. From 2014 until today she has done various volunteering activities, from free medical advice, to training women on female hygiene and health (with a focus on AIDS), to teaching in the elementary school in her village of origin. We have decided to accept Tsomo’s request because she never gives in front of difficulties, her motto is “no pain, no gain”.
Enrico and his life
Enrico Dell’Angelo was born in Rome on 11 September 1954. In 1976 he met Namkhai Norbu and became one of his first students. From that moment on, he devoted his whole life to supporting Tibetan culture and following the Dzogchen teachings he received from Namkhai Norbu. He graduated in Tibetan language and culture at the Oriental University of Naples, with a thesis on sydpa jymdo. In 1998 he went to Tibet for the first time, on pilgrimage to Mount Kailash, and in 1996 he started working in the Tibetan areas of China for the realization of emergency projects and development. He continued to work in the Tibetan areas of China without interruption until 2010; then, from 2012, he dedicated his life to supporting the world organization of the Dzogchen Community. Enrico was one of the founding members of ASIA, an enthusiastic Tibetologist, fluent in the different Tibetan dialects, and an expert in international cooperation. Unfortunately, on December 26, 2016 he passed away due to a sudden and incurable illness.
* To contribute to the Enrico Dell’Angelo Fund it is not necessary to make an ongoing donation, like for the Study Grants that are part of the Long Distance Sponsorship Project